Jun 26, 2019
We know companies and organizations have values, but how do we
as individuals identify, cultivate and live out core values. Let’s
start with a definition…
What are core values?
- A Guide: help you navigate life, making
decisions that align with who you are deep down
- A Gauge: measure success. At the end of life,
what will you be proud of
- A Code of Conduct: driving your daily life in
How to discover your core values
- Consider your proudest moments - what was happening and how
were you feeling?
- The reverse approach is to think of what is most frustrating to
you. The things that impact you to the core are strong indicators
of what you value.
- What do you want people to see in your life?
- When you reflect back at the end of your time, beyond the
achievements, what do you hope people remember about you?
- There are numerous lists of words to help you choose your core
values. Try doing it without a list first. Try this LIST to get
- Narrow it down to 5-7 values. If you get stuck, start comparing
values and eliminate them as necessary.
Healthy living through recognizing and adhering to
- When we are living according to our values, we find
- Core values inspire you to be the best version of yourself and
contribute to the world - that’s your family, your office, your
church, your community
- Help you get unstuck - in relationships, work, family
How to increase alignment with your core
- Read books
- Integrate daily practices like the rhythm guide from Uncover
- Set goals (short and long term)
- Make your goals specific to your values
- Core values can change over time - different seasons of life,
- Identifying and owning your values will put you in your
- Everything you need to be awesome in this life - being a
parent, a healthy partner in a relationship or friendship, an
entrepreneur or boss - is already inside you. With some effort and
commitment you can keep digging deeper to uncover all the potential
How to Create a Life Purpose Statement
- 60 Core values to start with
- Rhythm - choose your top 5-7 and assign each one to a day of
the week to focus on
For more episodes and resources, head to www.piecesofgrit.com.
To grab books and other tools on core values take a peek at